Friday, November 6, 2009

"So Far From the Bamboo Grove" by Yoko Kawashima Watkins

Wow. What a moving story. When I first started reading, the book reminded me a little bit of the Dear America Series which are stories about fictional characters during real historical past times. I really liked how "So Far From the Bamboo Grove" is written from the author's real life experience. I felt that this book relates to young readers because the author writes from a "child's" point of view. There were times when Yoko would complain about walking, or complain about being wounded, or refuse to give up her blanket because she was afraid people would get blood on it. War is a very abstract idea for people that haven't been deployed or have not experienced being in a war zone in their life. Even though I have never had to experience any of these horrible traumatizing events, I feel that this book made it concrete for me, in a way that I could connect with Yoko's character and really feel what she was feeling. I was so scared for her when the communists came to their home and took their belongings and kicked Yoko in the ribs. Or when there was a bomb and some of the shrap metal had inflicted Yoko's chest and ear. In the beginning of her life Yoko had to see people being beaten, murdered, as well as she saw what it was like to be homeless and hungry, cold and helpless. I can't even imagine going through the hardships she went through as a young girl just trying to stay alive. I assumed Yoko's mother died from hunger or some illness, but I was curious to find out what was the cause of death.

I really like the idea of comparing the two different perspectives of two people that lived through the same war but from two different "sides" of the war. It teaches kids, or helps them form opinions about war. Who is the real enemy? Especially times like these when our own country is currently at war with Iraq. I am looking forward to reading "The Year of Impossible Goodbyes" because I know that I will probably sympathize with this person as well. During war, so many people suffer. I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea that we as a human race actually travel to another part of the world to kill people over power or resources. It's such a foreign thing to me, but I really appreciate how this book, "So Far from the Bamboo Grove" allowed me to understand what it was like to live as a Japanese girl in Korea during World War 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment