Tuesday, November 17, 2009

"Flamingos on the Roof" by Calef Brown

As I started reading this picture/poetry book, my first impression was that the poems are random. It includes poems about the ABC's, Flamingos on the Roof, Bob, Bug Show, Medusa's sister Sally, Biscuits in the Wind, Soggy Circus, Peas, Birthday Lights, Crystal Bowling Ball, Martian Men etc. I think this book would be a good tool to help students generate ideas of what they can write about. Although this book has different poems about random ideas, the ideas are everyday things that people see and can connect to. One poem that I really liked was called "Ten Cent Haiku" The poem was about a man sitting down to write a haiku about a dime he found:

"Shiny Silver Friend
I will never let you go
Look! An ice cream truck!"

As you can tell, this haiku was somewhat random. However, I really like the randomness because it shows that poetry can be about anything and can be written in so many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment