Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Worst Best Friend By: Alexis O'Neill

I remember being a young girl, and I also remember being a brat in my own social group. At the time. those little fights we got into felt like the end of the world. But fortunately, I am still friends witha few people from grade school. This book was fun to read and reminded me of how little kids can be enemies one day, and be inseparable the next. The story has two boys, Mike and Conrad who are the best of friends. Until one day, the new "cool" kid arrives at school and Conrad leaves his best friend Mike in the Dust for his new found friend Victor. In the end, it blows up in Conrad's face beause he realizes that Victor was just using him and he wasn't really a friend. Conrad realizes that he was the "worst, WORST best friend" to mike, and he asks if they can still be friends. Mike says yes, and they even do their secret handshake. (which by the way, I loved making up different handshakes when I was little!)

This would be a great read for the classroom, especially if there are issues with cliques, bullies, or even just fighting. The moral to the story was that people needs to treat their friends well, respect them, and be a friend that another can count on. This would be a good story to share with your class if you were having these kind of issues with your students. This book had vivid illustrations, which took up most of every page. The words are also easy enough for 1st and 2nd graders to start reading on their own. (depending on their reading level). There is a rhythmic tone when reading the story too. I enjoyed this book and would recommend reading it to a class full of 1st or 2nd graders!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kayla - Thanks for the thumbs up on THE WORST BEST FRIEND! I loved your comment about making up handshakes when you were little. I'm collecting handshakes in action, so if you want to send me a little video, get in touch!

    ReplyDelete