Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Big George: How a Shy Boy became President Washington by: Anne Rockwell


I was really interested in the historical fiction books this time around, because it is interesting to find out about historical figures and characters in the past in a fun way. We also learned a little bit about historical fiction in last week's presentation so I wanted to see what I could find. I came across this book "Big George" and was fascinated by the cover of the book. It looks nothing like the picture or idea I had in my head of what George Washington looks like. I always thought of President Washington looking like a short frumpy pale old dude with a white curly wig. Ha! This book gives many facts about our first president that I had no knowledge of before reading this book. For instance I found out that George Washington was actually very shy and didn't like making conversation with people. He loved dancing, because he didn't have to talk! He was actually very tall and stood out in crowds. George Washington had a hot temper and used this to his advantage while fighting for the King of England in the French/Indian War in 1755. George got married and became a farmer, but then fought against the King of England when the colonists and Englishmen fought. Washington had become a General and led the colonists to a victory and Americans had eventually won their independence. Because of his great leadership through these battles that had led to this nation, Washington was unanimously elected the first president of the United States of America.

I really enjoyed reading this book. It didn't feel like I was learning a bunch of facts that I have to know for a test or to fill out some worksheet. But it really grabbed my attention and I was interested in hearing about Washington's life and the events that led up to him becoming the president of the United States. This would be a great book to incorporate into a lesson about presidents. Not only does it give great factual information about our first president, but it allows readers to hear about Washington as a real person who went through hard times and struggles just like we all do. This book allows us to see President Washington in another light. Along with great story this book produced, the illustrations are very intriguing and beautiful. I think many kids would enjoy reading this book, as well as adults!

No comments:

Post a Comment