Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Rain Makes Applesauce By: Julian Scheer and Marvin Bileck

"Rain Makes Applesauce" is a Caldecott book and I think it is because the pictures are so intricately designed and fascinating to look at. The text is simple and also imaginative but it doesn't really make sense unless you use your imagination. This book has different crazy statements such as "My house goes walking everyday","Rain makes applesauce","Monkeys mumble in a jelly bean jungle" and "Monkeys eat the chimney smoke". These lines are so abstract and unreal that it was hard for me to like it the first time I read it. Then I read it the second time and put more focus on the pictures... and it really does require an imagination. The pictures are really awesome, but I don't think I would pick this book to read to my entire class. Some kids that are more creative and imaginative would probably really enjoy these fun pictures, and perhaps even make up there own stories to these illustrations. Other than the pictures being elaborate and fun to look at, I don't really have much to say about the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment