Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Stinky by: Eleanor Davis

The only graphic novels I ever remember reading as a child were the Archie comic books. I always thought that most graphic novels were about super heroes and action packed fighting. Was I wrong! I picked out this book titled "Stinky" in the curriculum lab and I really enjoyed it. I previewed the book and thought that I would give it a try. While previewing, I noticed the illustrations were "kid friendly" or resembled something a kid would draw in their own notebooks. For example, on the inside cover there is a map of a swamp where a monster lives and everything is labeled from "possum tree" to "onion patch". On part of the map it shows where a little kid starts to cross paths with this monster. The novel is about a monster who is territorial and thinks he knows everything about kids. There is a new kid named Nick who starts exploring in the monsters swamp area and he decides this spot is perfect for building a tree house. Well the monster doesn't like this one bit and devises all these master plans to get rid of Nick. The monster is humorous in his attempts like for example, he dresses up as a ghost to try and scare nick away and he hides Nick's hat in a bottomless pit in hopes that Nick won't want to come around anymore. Eventually the monster realizes that Nick really isn't all that bad, and kids are actually really fun to hang out with. They become friends and co-exist in this swamp area.

This book is something I think little kids would really enjoy and connect with. The pictures and the text allow for alot of interaction and text to self connections. Kids can be territorial and judgemental and sometimes they need a good example like this to show them that they shouldn't make assumptions until they really know another person. Another reason I think this book is interactive is the monster asks many questions of what he is thinking outloud.... I think reading this book would encourage readers to say what they think the monster will do next, or what they think the answer is to the question.

This book is funny and that is always a great way to get kids interested in reading. I actually think I am going to use this book on friday with two second graders in my child study. I can just imagine all the things they will have to say about stinky, nick and the swamp! I would highly recommend this book to teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment