Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I WANT TO BE A COWGIRL By: Jeanne Willis and Tony Ross

This book is about a dreamer. And little kids are big dreamers with so much imagination! I think this was such a fun book that little kids (and everyone) can relate to. Everyone dreams to be somebody or something, and I think it's so important for little kids to voice their dreams. This would be a fun book to include in a lesson of writing about "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I remember as a kid, writing about what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I'm sure kids still do it today.

The book is about a girl who lives in the city, and all she really wants is to be a cowgirl! This girl is different from all the other girls because she doesn't want to do what the general society expects of her. She doesn't want to sit and be a girly girl, or cook and clean in the kitchen. Instead she wants to go on an adventure and live the life of a cowgirl breaking broncos and sleeping under the moon. The text is large and simple and the illustrations are colorful and fun, which makes this book appealing to the younger kids. Another thing I noticed about the illustrations is the character imagines all these different settings and places where she could be a cowgirl, but you can faintly see the buildings and sky scrapers in the background in which she currently lives. I thought this was interesting, because maybe she is not ready to leave home or the city just yet.

This girl has got an imagination and big dreams of some day being a cowgirl. I want to encourage kids to figure out what their dreams are and help them see that they can be anything and do anything they put their mind to! I would definitely use this book in my class of 1st or 2nd graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment